How to know if I need to start psychological therapy
Knowing if we need to go to psychological therapy and take the step to start it is a decision that can be uphill. Emotional distress and psychological difficulties can express themselves in endless ways. It depends on the context in which we live, our own needs, our way of being… so there is no specific profile of a person who attends therapy. It is understandable to be indecisive since, even though in society we are increasingly debunking some myths, there is still some misinformation about the process of going to psychotherapy.
Whatever the reason, it is always valid to ask for professional help.
Most people go to the psychologist because they feel emotional discomfort and are uncomfortable with themselves. There are days when we feel exhausted, without wanting to do anything or with a lot of stress. It is normal. Many life events generate painful emotions. (For example, the loss of a loved one, the breakup of a couple, conflicts with a family member, a demanding job …). Without this reason, it is necessary to start therapy.
For this reason, it may be interesting to ask yourself these questions:
- The emotional discomfort I have, do I feel that it is very intense and overwhelms me?
- How long have I been feeling this way?
- The attempts I make to resolve this discomfort, have they helped me and worked to make me feel better?
- How do I feel? Does it interfere with me in a specific area of my daily life? Whether at work, in family, friendship, or partner relationships, in my hours of sleep, diet, and body …
If the answer is that:
1) you feel overwhelmed by your emotional discomfort.
2) that has been with you for a long time (not since last week, but for a few months).
3) Your efforts to manage it sometimes seem to relieve you, but then the discomfort reappears. And, above all,
4) that pain prevents you from leading the life you want. And that it takes you away from the things that are important to you …
Then, you probably need to start psychological therapy. It can give you another perspective on what is happening to you and tools and resources to help you cope with your discomfort.
Harmful behaviors are another trigger to know if we need to start psychological therapy.
On other occasions, it may happen that we have been carrying out some behavior for a long time that we know is damaging our physical or mental health (for example, addictions, fights, or bingeing on food), but that, although we have tried, we are not able to regulate it. And we fall into the trap of thinking that we lack willpower. However, these blocks are due to more complex emotional causes. In this case, it may be beneficial to go to a psychologist to help you see the origin of the problem and change your behavior pattern.
Other times this does not happen to us. In general, we feel good about ourselves. We want to change our lifestyle to a healthier one or set goals for personal growth. If you feel identified, a psychotherapy process can accompany you and help you develop your plans.
Finally, it is relevant to note that psychologists deal with a wide variety of problems and situations. (Psychological disorders, life crises, grief, traumatic experiences, family and partner conflicts, low self-esteem, difficulties in social skills, fibromyalgia …), through scientifically validated treatments. This implies that their intervention goes beyond the advice that people close to us can give us—many times successful, but in a more subjective way.
Therapy can be beneficial for anyone, regardless of whether you have a diagnosed mental health condition or not. It can especially help people experiencing grief, trauma, relationship issues, confidence issues, and emotional instability.
- At Refresh Recovery, we provide co-occurring mental health diagnoses with drug and alcohol addiction in San Diego. Are you suffering from depression or panic disorder? If you or a loved one are suffering, please reach out to begin your journey in getting help.
It’s important to remember that therapy isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. It can include some trial and error.